Anyways, sales pitch aside, lets take a look at some of the recent changes:
- Fortumo now integrated with IwBilling and Quick Billing.
- New FBX to Marmalade converter tool, making it easy to get your 3D assets from tools such as Maya LT, 3ds Max and others that support FBX format into Marmalade.
- ideviceinstaller now available on Windows (goodbye iTunes!).
- IwGx now supports the ETC2 and EAC compressed texture formats.
- IwGx PowerVR texture compression efficiency improved.
- Initial support for PowerVR Tools (PVRTrace and PVRTune) on Windows Desktop.
I’m majorly excited about three of the new features in particular. The first is the support for Fortumo integration into IwBilling and QBilling. If you don’t know what they are then they are a single unified solution that enables you to “very easily” add in-app purchasing to your app across multiple different app stores. The addition of Fortumo means that in-app purchases can now be accepted by a vast number of different app stores (Android in particular).
Second feature is not having to install apps to an iOS device using the infinitely despised iTunes client on PC. I have never come across such a bug ridden piece of software in all my years. I will be happy to be deploying directly to device from now on!
Lastly, a new FBX converter that converts Maya LT exported FBX files into a lovely Marmalade format, yummy yummy.
By the way, did I mention that the Marmalade SDK is now available on a FREE license!
Click here to download the latest version of the Marmalade SDK
Yes you did read that right! The Marmalade SDK can be freely downloaded and used in all its flavours including:
- C++ – Create native games and apps in blazing pedal to the metal C++
- Juice – Easily port existing Objective-C based iOS games and apps to Android
- Quick – Create games and apps rapidly using Lua
- Web – Combine the power of C++ and HTML5
Sounds too good to be true? No, not at all. There are some restrictions such as:
- Limited extensions, but most important ones included
- Shows advert on boot
- Shows a splash screen on boot
But hey, you get support for the following platforms out of the box:
- Windows Phone
- Windows Store
- BlackBerry 10
Why am I so excited about the Marmalade SDK providing a free license? As most of you are aware I’ve been developing the open source AppEasy Core SDK which is a powerful game and app engine that makes creating games and apps super simple. This move by Marmalade will help to propagate its usage within the developer community. Not only that it opens the door for other developers to create extensions, middleware and tooling based on or around Marmalade.
Exciting times ahead is all I can say! Well done Marmalade.
What next? Well go and download your free copy of the Marmalade SDK right now.
Pocketeers has announced the release of two of its new memory game titles aimed at adults and children, Shuffle Match and Shuffle Match for Kids. Both titles were created using the Goji Editor game IDE and the AppEasy cross platform game engine.
Shuffle Match is a fun endless challenge memory game that starts out with an easy two grid and progresses up to a ten grid over time, ramping up the difficulty the longer you play, guaranteeing a great memory workout. Features include:
* Endless challenge, go as far as your memory will take you
* Easy and hard play modes
* Track your progress
* Play up to 10 x 10 memory grid in hard mode
* Very colourful graphics
* Great sound track
* NO IAP so no chance of kids running up huge bills
Shuffle Match for Kids is a version of Shuffle match that is optimised for children and has been tested on children of different age groups to optimise grid sizes and round times to ensure that the game does not become too difficult too quickly. 3 game modes are available based on age range, including younger than 6, 7 to 10 year old’s and 11+. Features include:
* Designed for 3 age ranges (6 and younger, 7 to 10 year old’s and 11 and over)
* Very colourful graphics
* Perky sound track
* Your child can track their progress to see how they improve
* NO IAP so no chance of children running up huge bills
Both titles are also available on Android, Blackberry PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 phones and tablets.
Shuffle Match and Shuffle Match for Kids were created using the Goji Editor which is a powerful game and app creation IDE that is compatible with AppEasy, Marmalade Quick, Corona and Gideros engines.